Sunday, August 24, 2008

yet still

Life is still a wee bit strange for me (notice my use of the word "wee"). I am still seeing life with a different set of eyes. I look around at my surroundings and things still don't quite feel like "home." And yet clearly, "home" is not what has changed. Somehow I have changed, if even just for a brief moment (though I surely hope it's not simply a moment).

Heidi and the girls and I just got home from a little overnight trip to San Diego. We went to Sea World yesterday then hung out with our good friends Jon and Heidi today. I can't believe I have been off of work for 2 1/2 weeks. It will be really weird to go back on Monday, but it will be nice to get back into a routine.

I remember hearing Heidi talking to someone a few years ago about her missions trip, and how it was a bit rough adjusting to home life when she got back (and her cultural experience was even more shocking than mine, having gone to India when she was in high school). At the time I never thought I would go on another short-term trip, but when this trip came up, I tucked that comment away in the back of my head, preparing myself for something similar.

I'm the only one on our Scotland team that had never been on a "formal" missions trip in the past, but 12 years ago I went on sort of an "underground, rogue" missions trip that was not formally recognized by my church, though the basic premise of what we did then was not too far from my purpose for this Scotland trip. I played with another band and we rented an RV and did a slew of evangelistic concerts in the Washington state area. Music was played, people came, the gospel was preached. Just like in Room 65. I must say though, that's where the similarities pretty much end.

By the end of our 2 1/2 week RV road trip, I was so ready to come home (and I didn't even have a wife and kids to come home to). I was tired of living in such close quarters with some of these people (I think there were about 12 or so in this RV, including a 2 week old... Yoon can correct me if I'm wrong). I actually slept on the dashboard of the RV (probably a 3' X 7' space, roughly).

With that in mind, maybe I was a bit more apt to soak in what happened in Scotland. Truth be told, I wasn't in that much awe of the scenery. I did enjoy the Edinburgh architecture quite a bit because it's so unlike what I'm used to. Scotland is beautiful, no doubt about it. But I probably had more awe-inspiring "nature" experiences at California's beaches, staring out into what seems like an endless ocean. Or being in our mountains on a clear night and quietly observing the stars. Our God is a wonderfully creative Creator.

What was amazing to me, though... was people. I did miss my family, but I never had that emotional breakdown I was psyching myself up for. I was loving what we were doing in Scotland. I loved playing music every night for a couple of hours for anyone who would listen... in a much more "freer" environment than I usually find myself in. I loved sharing my faith with people. I loved working in the church café. I loved the fellowship. I loved being encouraged by the saints, as well as encouraging them. I loved having conversations with people from all over the world. I loved how God was changing me right before my own eyes as I encountered so many different people.

And I love my team. I couldn't imagine God creating a more perfect "Dream Team" to share this experience with.

And yet when my last service "duty" was fulfilled, I almost immediately became ready to come home. Take away the ministry and there was no longer a strong draw for me. I could have played another week of Room 65, no doubt. Heck, I could have played all of Room 65. The music part was so much fun, but mainly because it was a vehicle to reach people.

And the church... I've already said it before but these are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. I don't think I have ever been at a place with such a high concentration of like-minded, gospel-driven people. And in order for Room 65 to succeed, you need each and every one of them. And you don't necessarily get this impression if you just visit church on a Sunday morning. Their church service and culture is not unlike what I'm used to at Grace or Calvary. Not particularly outgoing or welcoming. Who knows why... Grace is huge so that's a problem, Calvary is still pretty big, and Carrubbers has about 300-400 as well. I don't remember anyone introducing themselves to me on either Sunday I was there (outside of the people involved in Room 65). Not sure what the answer is to that (as it pertains to me at my church and needing to reach out more). And I guess it's not unlike a lot of churches... a small percentage of the body doing a lion's share of the work, while so many just come, sit, listen, then leave, having gotten their spiritual batteries recharged. Hmmmm...

But the people I did get to know at Carrubbers... holy smokes. I still need to post on their generosity and hospitality (haven't forgotten). Like I said, some of the most caring, kind, generous, loving people I have ever met. It's amazing how quickly you can fall in love with a group of people. There will always be a very soft spot in my heart for them. You all know who you are (I hope)... my heart misses you terribly.

Tomorrow I'll be back at my church and I'm looking forward to it. Tomorrow night Least of These plays a concert at another church and I'm looking forward to that as well.

Then, Monday is coming. I will get back into the routine and I fully expect for some of the luster of this experience to fade a bit. I believe that is natural.

Now the true test begins.

My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick...once again you've managed to bring a tear to my eye! You guys were such an encouragement to us all here, i think everyone will agree with me there - we miss you like crazy, and i completely understand the transition back...the culture change. Africa was bad for me... you get over it eventually, but that soft spot in your heart will always be there! never forget you're always welcome back...and you're family too, whenevr you want! :o)
R.X