In case you haven't guessed by now, we came because of people. Take a look at just a handful of people we have met...

Constantine (Justin is preaching the gospel to him)

Kyle (oversaw the street team during Room 65)

One of many amazing dinners provided by families from the church (I still haven't forgotten to post about the hospitality... if I had to pick one thing that was my favorite part of this trip (though it's impossible to pick just one), I would pick the kindness and hospitality of these dear Carrubbers people)

View from the stage of some Room 65 attendees

Gospel tracts in several different languages (so that people from all over the world can read the Good News)

Trevor (member of Carrubbers Christian Centre). He's about to try a fajita... only he ended up eating it with a fork and knife.

Angelo (ran the Carrubbers Café that we all volunteered at during the week)

Dorcas (Angelo's wife) and Leanne (dear friend from Carrubbers with an amazing servant's heart... few work harder than her, I guarantee it)

Richard (former Carrubbers member, now attending Free Church of Scotland)

Gordon (another Room 65 attendee from the Free Church of Scotland... in speaking with him I think that his theology would be very similar to my own so I would say he goes to a good church)

Jonathan (though I think he may go by Jonny, since I added him on MySpace). Jonathan is from England (I think near Leeds?). He plays in a band that had a gig up the street one night. He popped in to hear us before he had to go to sound check. He has never really thought much about religion, but as he's gotten older he's more open to it (
"I'm open to anything really... I just don't want to find out at the end of my life that I made the wrong choice"). Jonathan, if you remembered to check my blog, please know I am praying that God will lead you to the truth.

Another view of Room 65 attendees (Will and Debbie, see Grandpa Bill and Margaret?)

More Christians I met from a different church (L to R: Ann, Margit, Luke, me, Emma). Emma just got back from the missions trip to Africa. I want to say that she and her husband are going to be full-time missionaries there?

Liam. I didn't really get a chance to share the gospel with him because he was actually working and he was the only one working the shop (and his boss came back minutes later). Liam believes in the resurrection, but not a virgin birth. He also knows that evolution is bunk
("I looked into it... I know that the earth's axis is slightly tilted and that even the slightest change in axis degree would make life on earth impossible"). He believes in intelligent design and that Jesus Christ actually died and rose again from the dead, yet he doesn't believe that Jesus is the Son of God and doesn't believe He could be conceived how the Bible says. Praying for you, Liam.

Blass Family (L to R: Dieter, Anna, Bettina, David). I posted about them in the previous post. Thanks for coming guys! We loved meeting you and having you come to Room 65! You are such sweet people!

Scottish Emma (at my host home), who reminds me so much of my Emma

Shannon preaching the gospel to Alan

Andy. You may remember Andy from one of my earlier posts. I met him my first night in town. He was homeless, but God blessed him with a place to stay in Edinburgh (a place that takes retired soldiers). He came to church today (though he is Roman Catholic). I found out today that he has 3 children, all of whom he lost contact with after he and his wife divorced in 1974. 3 children. No contact. Nearly 35 years. Lord, save Andy and reunite him with his children.

Worship at Carrubbers (August 17, 2008). They sing loud!

Shannon befriended two German sisters that worked in shops nearby (L to R: Shannon, Lydia, Elizabeth). They attend the State Church in Germany. They just came out here for the Fringe and found a place to stay and jobs for their time here. Very sweet girls. They even came to hang out with us after our concert last night.

Hanging out at the Roses

Gaspar family (L to R: me, Julianna, Liam, Janice, Chris). Such a dear, dear family that I had the privilege of meeting. I heard their testimony one night (they provided dinner for us) and it was amazing to see how God orchestrated it for them to come here from Canada, about 9 years ago. So many things, from little to big, to tell them that the Lord was guiding them every step of the way. A great example to me on the exercise of faith. They even bought my daughters some souvenirs.

Lucia (pictured with Jill, Jackie, and Caitie). Slovakian native that has lived in Edinburgh for 4 1/2 years. She came to several Room 65's and also went on the hike that I ditched. We think she is a Christian.

(L to R: Abi, Julianna, Rachy). Some sweet girls from the church. Very servant-minded.

Ruth (daughter of one of the ladies that helps administrate things at the church, especially for music, as well as Room 65)

Mairi and Paul. Like-minded sister and brother. Paul ran sound for us and did an amazing job. The piano sounded phenomenal Paul! Mairi, like so many others, bent over backwards serving people.
And there you have it... and that's not even the half of it. Obviously it's not possible to put everyone and everything into the blog, but I'm trying to put in as much as I can (once again) so that you can understand why it is that we are here, and why you will probably notice some very changed people coming home to the States. This is an experience that I will never forget and I'm praying that God will let me come back (with my family next time!).
Tomorrow is our "debrief" day and we will be sightseeing. I am determined to snap a picture of Nessie so that I can retire and buy a vacation home in Edinburgh.
My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.
1 comment:
Well...it's just not right that you should write all these lovely things about people from carrubbers and there are hardly any comments about how INCREDIBLE you all were for us...honestly, such a blessing and encouragement, we have LOVED having you stay and being in our homes and around church every night - the concert was absolutely incredbile... not to mention the tears flowing down Abi & I's faces while you, Rick, were singing your songs... right from the heart! We love you guys... Rach.X
Post a Comment