Monday, August 11, 2008

church

Today we attended Carrubbers Christian Centre, the church that is hosting Room 65 and Least of These. The church is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year.

The church gave us the songs to lead the congregational singing with. We knew most of them, but there was a more traditional hymn that none of us had heard before... Love Divine. Though we've done it quite a few times today, I still couldn't tell you how it goes.

The church has somewhere between 300-400 people. A decent sized church. Everyone on the team participated in leading the singing, except Justin. Not sure if he even knew we sang different songs. Just kidding.

The piano I'm playing is interesting. It sounds nice in the house, but it doesn't sound that great from where I am. I also think it's slightly out of tune, with a spongy action and a couple of slightly messed up keys. But it still sounds decent (and again, sounds pretty good in the house, which is most important). I'm thankful that they have one at all. Also, since we don't have electric guitar for this trip I am able to play a bit for freely and busy on the piano, which has been very fun.

The church sings quite loud. The service is more or less traditional (at least this morning's was very traditional). Yet if they know the song, they will blast it. You almost don't need to lead them in the singing.

I'm not sure if this is just the culture of the church, or city, or country... but they are not that emotional in their singing. Loud, yes. Emotional, not really. Obviously that's not inherently bad, and both my former and current churches back home aren't that emotional in their singing either. But I think Room 65 will be a bit different and maybe received differently. We'll find out tomorrow!

At tonight's service, the preacher was a young man familiar to all of us on the team.

My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.

No comments: