Thursday, August 14, 2008

random scottish observations

I love the UK electrical outlets. Much cleaner aesthetically (though the plugs are larger, they lay flatter and the cord runs more flush against the wall, versus in the US where cords typically jut out. This enables furniture to sit closer to wall, even if there is an outlet present). They also have switches for each outlet. It appears to be customary to switch the outlet off when not in use. Not sure if they charge for the outlet being on, or if it's for safety, or what... and my host didn't appear to know either :).

I love the UK washer and dryer system. Very quiet. And I smell fantastic right now in my freshly laundered clothes.

I love the currency. Much more creative and beautiful to look at.

Patrons of the café have been SUPER polite. When they are finished eating, most of them actually arrange and stack their dishes, cups, glasses, and silverware for us before we bus the tables. Americans are sloppy brutes compared to them.

What is it about being here that makes all of us try to speak in our finest Scottish accents?

And why is it that my "accent" morphs from Southern Scottish to Northern Scottish to English to Irish to Mexican to Ebonics at any given time? All trying to speak as the Scots do.

There must be a large Chinese population here because there are more Chinese restaurants here than there are Starbucks back home. I am NOT exaggerating.

A typical sandwich in a roll is referred to as a "filled roll."

It's not cream for your coffee... just call it "milk."

They are also not creamers, they are "milk jugs."

Speaking of coffee... they sure love their coffee and tea here.

They are not faucets, they are "taps."

Trunk? Nope... "boot."

Other terms:

"Lie in" = "sleep in"
"Queue" = "line"
"Pants" = "underwear"
"Strapped in" = "buckle your seat belt"
"Till" = "cash register"

There are many more, but I have lots I'm trying to post tonight.

My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick

Good observations ! The switch on the outlet is just for safety and, yes there are loads of chinces restaurants, but not due to chinese people. It's cos we brits lurve our chinese food.

Some American cool things I have found are : Turning right on a red light - amazing! Flashing orange lights at cross roads at night - brilliant !

Anonymous said...

Something i have noticed is that they don't have gallons of milk at all, not even at the grocery store, only half gallons.

Anonymous said...

oh and by the way - it's alumINIUM not aluminum :-D