Wednesday, August 13, 2008

room 65, night 2

Another great night. I am loving playing music every night... and especially since it's to draw people in to hear the gospel. It doesn't get much better than that.

Tonight our second set was a "singer-songwriter" type of set where it was a bit more stripped down and we utilized a few more members of the team. I kicked off the set and played about half of it.

My set list:

- I Wonder (song I wrote for my daughter Emma)
- Come to the Cross (evangelistic song)
- You Are My Life (worship song)
- Still Missing You (song I wrote for the baby Heidi miscarried in 2005)

It rained a fair amount today so the numbers were down. Probably had about half the number of yesterday.

I didn't have to play every song tonight so that enabled me to chat with some people. I met a man named John. He is living in Edinburgh around the corner from Room 65, but is originally from London. He came in last night and spoke with Patrick for a bit. He really digs our music so he came back tonight. When I spoke to him he was not very interested in talking about "religion" with me ("I just came to hear the music") but we had a nice chat nonetheless. He did sit and listen to the gospel presentation though. And maybe Patrick was able to chat with him more.

I also met a really nice Italian couple, Luca and Anna. Very friendly. I was walking off stage after my solo set (Caitie began her solo set) and Anna gave me a thumbs up. So I figured I would introduce myself. She and Luca are dating (they live 3 hours from each other in Italy) and decided to come to Scotland for a 10-day holiday. They got here yesterday and leave for Glasgow, Scotland tomorrow (they are touring various parts of Scotland). Anna started asking all sorts of questions about Room 65 and what it was about. I told her we were in a church and she asked if it was a Catholic church. When I told her it was "Christian," she asked, "I would like to know what is the difference between Roman Catholic and Christian." Uh...

[door swings open, Ricky walks through]

I had an opportunity to speak to her about grace and how salvation is a gift of grace, not a result of works. She seemed more "curious" than searching (she's more of a "traditional" Italian Catholic that goes to mass once or twice a year), but you never know what God will do with the seed that has been planted. God, please pour Your water on Luca and Anna and grow them! I will most likely never see them again in this life. God, please let me see them in Heaven!

What was awesome... Luca spoke no English. Anna's English was superb. So... while I was preaching to Anna, she was translating for Luca. How AWESOME is that?!?!? Thank you Lord... Your goodness continues to amaze me.

I was also reminded tonight that there is most certainly a spiritual war going on. During Caitie's set (while I was speaking to Luca and Anna) someone set off the fire alarm (actually broke the glass and pushed the button). A very loud piercing alarm went off for what seemed to be 2-3 minutes, and even after turning it off it came back on a couple of times over the course of 5 minutes or so. We were going to file outside, but they told us there was no fire and that it was safe to remain inside. I had just started preaching the gospel to Luca and Anna when this happened. They could have left (I was totally covering my ears but they both sat there patiently... amazing). They chose to stay and I picked up right where I left off when the alarm stopped. Thank you Father... the enemy would have NO victory tonight! At the end I told them I would pray for them.

And I hope that if you read this you will pray for them to. Right now.

I'm not going to take the time to post pictures tonight; it's after 2am. More pics tomorrow. And maybe some...

VIDEO. Oooooooooh. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I am washing my laundry in a British washer. They are very strange but I really dig them. I think our washers can learn a thing or two from them. Actually I am finding quite a number of British stuff that I am preferring.

One good thing about the rain is that the humidity seems to be helping our voices. Oftentimes Pat's voice could be dead by now. Our vocals have sounded fantastic; I don't think I have sung this well for several years. God has been preserving us. I know it is Him. I am just so thankful. There is so much evidence of God working here it is crazy. Crazy good.

You know what else is crazy good? The food. I haven't had a single thing I do not like. Seriously. If you are ever in Edinburgh, you need to hit up the Carrubbers Café (the church runs a lunchtime café during the week).

Another blessing... the church is providing all of our meals so we don't have to buy any food for ourselves. That was not in the original plan. So amazing. I will post more about the hospitality in a later post. It deserves its own post.

OK, I better hit it. Please keep praying for us! I know that you are too... I can feel them. That's right... used the ol' four letter "F" word.

My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick...thanks for the updates on the blog. It's been cool to hear about how God is working over there. I like the personal stories of encounters you are having with the individuals in Room 65 and the opportunities that you are having to share the gospel. Prayers sent for Anna and Luca tonight as well as for the whole team.

rick said...

Thanks for checking in, Josh. When I hear more stories from the others, I will post them.

Anonymous said...

Rick,

Thanks so much for this, I have enjoyed reading every day. I love your insights and have loved having specific people to pray for. I don't know why, but Kevin's name comes to me several times each day and I have been praying for him. Let me know if there is anyone else.

Debbie