Saturday, August 21, 2010

in the 'burgh

Well, we finally made it! A pretty uneventful trip, in that it was relatively smooth and we spent a LOT of time waiting. Oh baby, but it was so worth it. And I also actually got some sleep on the way here this year (something that eluded me for almost 2 whole days last time).

A few words... it's 4am UK time (some of my prime blogging hours!). Some things never change. Difference this time is that I went to bed early. Around 12:30am. Probably woke up around 3am, and tried to fall back asleep. After a good half hour of wide eyed dreaming of the day to come, I figured now is as good a time as any to blog.

Also, there is no internet where we are staying, so the posts will probably be slightly delayed. I am currently laying in bed, drafting this post into my mobile phone. I will try and upload this once I get to the church (I will have internet access there).

OK, now that those formalities are out of the way...

As I previously mentioned, it was a pretty straightforward trip out here, just long. I figure that from the time we stepped into LAX until the time we stepped out of Edinburgh Airport, it was about 22 hours. A LONG time to be breathing in all that recirculated air. Though I don't have OCD anymore, I think I developed some claustrophobia on this trip. I really REALLY wanted out of that airport!

Leanne and Mairi, some dear friends of ours, met us at the airport. What a sight for sore eyes. It was no longer a dream. We were truly back in the 'Burgh.

So far, most of the sights and sounds are just as I remember them. It doesn't appear to me that a ton has changed on that front. But who cares about that, we were on our way back to Carrubbers!

Being back here, it wasn't the cry fest I was psyching myself up for, so that was good. Last thing these people need is a total blubbering idiot right out of the gates.

Having said that, I have already shed quite a few tears. This is indeed a special place. Scotland is beautiful, but I have seen this scenery before. I have come back because of the people of Carrubbers Christian Centre and the ministry of Room 65. I really know of nothing else like it on earth, so it is both a great joy and a remarkable privilege to be invited back.

We also got some awesome fish and chips. And my self-imposed ban on soda (going on nearly 6 months) is on hiatus for the next 9 days, while I drink my fill of IRN-BRU. Already had my first one, and you know what? I don't really miss soda (which will make my wife and kids VERY happy). The ban will easily go back in place when I get home.

We also got to catch some of Room 65. It was the final night of Week 3 (we are here to do Week 4). That made me weepy. Seeing some familiar faces on that stage. And judging from the looks on their faces, they were happy to see us as well.

Afterwards we came to the apartment we will call home for this trip. 9 of us. Sharing one place. Good thing we are only sleeping here.

Speaking of sleep, I should try and get a wee bit more. It's about 5am and we are leading worship for the church in just a few hours. Besides, I drafted this entire post on my phone, so my hands and wrists are killing me.

Please pray for us. The work is getting started.

My name is Rick, and thanks for reading.

No comments: